SCI-FI-LONDON and URBAN FANTASIST are once again setting you an exciting challenge during the SCI-FI-LONDON Film Festival 2015: a 48 hour flash fiction competition on a sci-fi or fantasy theme.
Each year we run a 48 hour film challenge, where we give the teams a TITLE, line of DIALOGUE and a few other things to base their film on. We want you to write a short story with similar details, again in just two days!
How it will work:
Entry is FREE and open to anyone who writes or would like to dip a toe in the literary water. The story must not exceed 1500 words max and be written in the time allocated.
Between now and 10th April, you need to...
1. Go to the Challenge website
2. Click on the Create Account link (there are 2 of them) to Register for the Challenge (we need some basic contact details) - or use this link http://48hour.sci-fi-london.com/account/register
3. Visit the Challenge site on Saturday 11th April at 9.00am - login to your account to get your story elements: the TITLE for your story + a piece of DIALOGUE which must be incorporated somewhere into the story (this may include a scientific idea or theme). Easy... half your work is done! You then have 48 hours to write your story.
4. Write no more than 1500 words - double spaced in one font please - see full format details below
5. Include your name and contact details in the story - so we know it's yours!
6. Get it back to us by for judging. The deadline for submission is Monday 13th April at 1:00pm via a PDF sent as an email attachment to email@example.com
Our jury (Charles Christian of Urban Fantasist + Rob Grant and Zoe Margolis – we'll be introducing them shortly) read all the entries and produce a shortlist and we will present the winners their awards at a ceremony in June as part of the main festival (runs 28 May to 6 June). You will be invited along to the ceremony if shortlisted and on the night find out if you won. If you are not in the UK, maybe we can skype with you?
Prizes include a SCI-FI-LONDON Goody bag, tickets to the festival and a few other goodies.
What else to you need to know:
• Anyone can enter the Challenge and entry is FREE but please note this is London-based film festival
• This is NOT a Grievous Angel project so we will not be paying a contributors fee however we will be publishing the winning entry and runners-up on this site
• Use #sfl48flash and follow us @scifilondon on Twitter for updates.
• Standard manuscript format: in a serif font (Courier/Times New Roman/Garamond etc) + 12 point size + double spaced lines + single column layout + no illustrations.
• Include your name and full contact details on the first page AND list the clues you were given on entry: Title + Line of Dialogue
• Manuscripts to be submitted digitally in PDF or MS Word or Apple Pages file formats only as email attachments.
• Please also include your word count - note the maximum is 1500 words.
Welcome to Urban Fantasist
Curated by former barrister and Reuters correspondent turned writer, award-winning tech journalist, best-selling non-fiction author, sometime werewolf hunter, and digital gypsy Charles Christian on a mission to inform and entertain with news and comment on tech, media, writing, science fiction, cybercrime, folklore, history, pop culture, geek stuff, WTF, and the just plain weird.
Also includes the Grievous Angel webzine for free-to-read, sci-fi and fantasy poetry and flash fiction. Plus links to Charles Christian's books including fiction, nonfiction, and all the latest reviews.
Our more "pure" tech stories are now flagged with the Gonzo News logo.
"Charles Christian defiantly makes my world a brighter, funnier place."
"The legendary Charles Christian at his eclectic best... his insight and humour alone make this a must-read blog."
"His tech journalism is always witty. He has a talent for pricking the overblown claims of suppliers and encouraging users to give him opinions, which he very equitably filters and interprets."
The Urban Fantasist website is now averaging over 3000 page views daily and 95,000 page views a month.
Over 157 weeks in Amazon's writing reference books bestsellers Top 20.
Can I copy content from this site?
Yes... providing you properly credit it. Here's the technical bit: Urban Fantasist content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License which means it may be shared, remixed or used commercially as long as Urban Fantasist or Grievous Angel is cited as the source. If you have any questions, please email or use our contact form.
Feel free to drop a few PayPal coins in our Tip Jar to help us meet some of our running costs. Chocolate, tea, flasks of wine, books of verse, the usual.
Copyright © Charles Christian
& WordsandVision Limited 2017
Grievous Angel ISSN 2059-6057
This site is fuelled entirely by green tea, sarcasm and dark chocolate.
Contact Address: Oak Lodge, Darrow Green Road, Denton, Harleston, Norfolk IP20 0AY, United Kingdom