The film was created by Paul Michael Johnson who asks "What if there was an Empire focussed short Star Wars animation, drawn with the crazy detail and shading of classic 80s anime that's all but vanished from Japan nowadays?" We also like the 80s style soundtrack.
SCI-FI-LONDON and URBAN FANTASIST are once again setting you an exciting challenge during the SCI-FI-LONDON Film Festival 2015: a 48 hour flash fiction competition on a sci-fi or fantasy theme.
Each year we run a 48 hour film challenge, where we give the teams a TITLE, line of DIALOGUE and a few other things to base their film on. We want you to write a short story with similar details, again in just two days!
How it will work:
Entry is FREE and open to anyone who writes or would like to dip a toe in the literary water. The story must not exceed 1500 words max and be written in the time allocated.
Between now and 10th April, you need to...
1. Go to the Challenge website
2. Click on the Create Account link (there are 2 of them) to Register for the Challenge (we need some basic contact details) - or use this link http://48hour.sci-fi-london.com/account/register
3. Visit the Challenge site on Saturday 11th April at 9.00am - login to your account to get your story elements: the TITLE for your story + a piece of DIALOGUE which must be incorporated somewhere into the story (this may include a scientific idea or theme). Easy... half your work is done! You then have 48 hours to write your story.
4. Write no more than 1500 words - double spaced in one font please - see full format details below
5. Include your name and contact details in the story - so we know it's yours!
6. Get it back to us by for judging. The deadline for submission is Monday 13th April at 1:00pm via a PDF sent as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our jury (Charles Christian of Urban Fantasist + Rob Grant and Zoe Margolis – we'll be introducing them shortly) read all the entries and produce a shortlist and we will present the winners their awards at a ceremony in June as part of the main festival (runs 28 May to 6 June). You will be invited along to the ceremony if shortlisted and on the night find out if you won. If you are not in the UK, maybe we can skype with you?
Prizes include a SCI-FI-LONDON Goody bag, tickets to the festival and a few other goodies.
What else to you need to know:
• Anyone can enter the Challenge and entry is FREE but please note this is London-based film festival
• This is NOT a Grievous Angel project so we will not be paying a contributors fee however we will be publishing the winning entry and runners-up on this site
• Use #sfl48flash and follow us @scifilondon on Twitter for updates.
• Standard manuscript format: in a serif font (Courier/Times New Roman/Garamond etc) + 12 point size + double spaced lines + single column layout + no illustrations.
• Include your name and full contact details on the first page AND list the clues you were given on entry: Title + Line of Dialogue
• Manuscripts to be submitted digitally in PDF or MS Word or Apple Pages file formats only as email attachments.
• Please also include your word count - note the maximum is 1500 words.
The UK's Society of Authors is running a campaign supporting better deals for authors who attend literary festivals and expect to be paid and receive expenses. See attached PDF for details...
Only in Norfolk (which is where I live). Here's a picture of an eyewitness to a raid on a house by armed police. Nowhere in the accompanying report (click link HERE) does anyone comment on the fact the man is wearing one Zebra-style onesie!
The video features ARO (pronounced 'arrow') as in Aimee Rachel Osbourne, the eldest daughter of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne.
Wonderful chart here by Matt Orsman – follow the link to his website for more of his artwork and the opportunity to buy his graphics – including this table – in various forms of merchandise, including laptop covers. Periodic Table of Horror Movies.
Weird Tales Radio Show
Welcome to Episode 16 of the Weird Tales Radio Show. This is our our Friday the Thirteenth, All you ever wanted to know about Aleister Crowley but were afraid to ask, Get out your Hagstones to fight the Evil Eye, is it a Bird, is it a Plane, no it’s the Monster Owl Witch Show. The Big Interview is with Ashley Cowie and we talk about the myth surrounding Aleister Crowley: psychologist? Misunderstood trickster? The godfather of modern witchcraft and wicca? Music by Ozzy Osbourne.
Follow this link to access all episodes of the Weird Tales Radio Show podcasts. The page also contains links to all our platforms. Click the player button below to hear latest show.
New on the Grievous Angel
This is a stunning new piece of flash fiction, a masterclass in how to encapsulate a good story, characterisation and emotion in just 750 words by Andrew W. Mccullough. You can read it HERE free
This is Urban Fantasist
Curated by former barrister and Reuters correspondent turned writer, award-winning tech journalist, best-selling non-fiction author, sometime werewolf hunter, and internet radio host Charles Christian – Urban Fantasist is here to inform and entertain you with news and comment on weird tales, geek stuff, tech, urban myths, and folklore.
Also includes the Grievous Angel webzine for free-to-read, sci-fi and fantasy poetry and flash fiction.
And the Weird Tales Radio Show podcast archive. Click on any of the buttons below to access the shows.
Plus links to Charles Christian's books including fiction, nonfiction, and all the latest reviews.
"Charles Christian defiantly makes my world a brighter, funnier place."
"The legendary Charles Christian at his eclectic best... his insight and humour alone make this a must-read blog."
"Charles Christian is my inner spirit animal, thank you for making me laugh."
"the funny, wonderful and slightly cantankerous Charles Christian"
"His tech journalism is always witty. He has a talent for pricking the overblown claims of suppliers."
"Charles Christian does awesome!"
The Urban Fantasist website is now averaging over 4750 page views daily and 140,000 page views a month plus over 5500 unique visitors each week.
Over 194 weeks in Amazon's writing reference books bestsellers Top 20.
Can I copy content from this site?
Yes... providing you properly credit it. Here's the technical bit: Urban Fantasist content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License which means it may be shared, remixed or used commercially as long as Urban Fantasist or Grievous Angel is cited as the source. If you have any questions, please email or use our contact form.
Green Tea Pot
Please drop a few PayPal coins into our Tip Jar to help us meet some of our running costs. Chocolate, green tea, flasks of wine, books of verse, the usual.
Copyright © Charles Christian
& WordsandVision Limited 2018
Grievous Angel ISSN 2059-6057
This site is fuelled entirely by green tea, dark chocolate and sarcasm.
Contact Address: Oak Lodge, Darrow Green Road, Denton, Harleston, Norfolk IP20 0AY, United Kingdom