The film was created by Paul Michael Johnson who asks "What if there was an Empire focussed short Star Wars animation, drawn with the crazy detail and shading of classic 80s anime that's all but vanished from Japan nowadays?" We also like the 80s style soundtrack.
SCI-FI-LONDON and URBAN FANTASIST are once again setting you an exciting challenge during the SCI-FI-LONDON Film Festival 2015: a 48 hour flash fiction competition on a sci-fi or fantasy theme.
Each year we run a 48 hour film challenge, where we give the teams a TITLE, line of DIALOGUE and a few other things to base their film on. We want you to write a short story with similar details, again in just two days!
How it will work:
Entry is FREE and open to anyone who writes or would like to dip a toe in the literary water. The story must not exceed 1500 words max and be written in the time allocated.
Between now and 10th April, you need to...
1. Go to the Challenge website
2. Click on the Create Account link (there are 2 of them) to Register for the Challenge (we need some basic contact details) - or use this link http://48hour.sci-fi-london.com/account/register
3. Visit the Challenge site on Saturday 11th April at 9.00am - login to your account to get your story elements: the TITLE for your story + a piece of DIALOGUE which must be incorporated somewhere into the story (this may include a scientific idea or theme). Easy... half your work is done! You then have 48 hours to write your story.
4. Write no more than 1500 words - double spaced in one font please - see full format details below
5. Include your name and contact details in the story - so we know it's yours!
6. Get it back to us by for judging. The deadline for submission is Monday 13th April at 1:00pm via a PDF sent as an email attachment to email@example.com
Our jury (Charles Christian of Urban Fantasist + Rob Grant and Zoe Margolis – we'll be introducing them shortly) read all the entries and produce a shortlist and we will present the winners their awards at a ceremony in June as part of the main festival (runs 28 May to 6 June). You will be invited along to the ceremony if shortlisted and on the night find out if you won. If you are not in the UK, maybe we can skype with you?
Prizes include a SCI-FI-LONDON Goody bag, tickets to the festival and a few other goodies.
What else to you need to know:
• Anyone can enter the Challenge and entry is FREE but please note this is London-based film festival
• This is NOT a Grievous Angel project so we will not be paying a contributors fee however we will be publishing the winning entry and runners-up on this site
• Use #sfl48flash and follow us @scifilondon on Twitter for updates.
• Standard manuscript format: in a serif font (Courier/Times New Roman/Garamond etc) + 12 point size + double spaced lines + single column layout + no illustrations.
• Include your name and full contact details on the first page AND list the clues you were given on entry: Title + Line of Dialogue
• Manuscripts to be submitted digitally in PDF or MS Word or Apple Pages file formats only as email attachments.
• Please also include your word count - note the maximum is 1500 words.
The UK's Society of Authors is running a campaign supporting better deals for authors who attend literary festivals and expect to be paid and receive expenses. See attached PDF for details...
Only in Norfolk (which is where I live). Here's a picture of an eyewitness to a raid on a house by armed police. Nowhere in the accompanying report (click link HERE) does anyone comment on the fact the man is wearing one Zebra-style onesie!
The video features ARO (pronounced 'arrow') as in Aimee Rachel Osbourne, the eldest daughter of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne.
Wonderful chart here by Matt Orsman – follow the link to his website for more of his artwork and the opportunity to buy his graphics – including this table – in various forms of merchandise, including laptop covers. Periodic Table of Horror Movies.
Here to inform and entertain you with tales of weirdness, folklore, urban myths, arcane history, geek culture and the occult. "Fun and high strangeness" is how one reader describes it. May contain sarcasm.
Curated by Reuters correspondent and barrister turned writer, podcaster, editor, award-winning tech journalist and sometime werewolf hunter Charles Christian. The site also has links to Charles' books and the Weird Tales radio and video shows.
Charles was born a 'chime child' with a caul – according to legend a caul-shrouded chime-child can't drown at sea but can see and talk to ghosts and fairy folk without fear of coming to harm – allegedly!
Latest book: Shuckland
Latest Radio & Video
Virtual Tip Jar
You can now support Urban Fantasist, its podcasts and its new video channel through our Virtual Tip Jars on PayPal, Ko-fi and Patreon, giving you a choice of ad hoc or regular payments.
Tel: +44(0)1986 788666
Tel/Txt: +44(0)7786 738172
WhatsApp etc: +44(0)7786 738172
"Charles Christian... a man of paranormality" ...Howard Hughes, Talk Radio UK
"A great witty intelligence in the world. We need more CC and less monkey-brained politicians" ...Julia Bohanna
"I love your posts, always something interesting to read and often funny" ...Karen Morton
"Just found the show, absolutely love it. Will be tuning in regularly and catching up."
"Seriously good stuff. It is nice to hear intelligent hosts and guests. People in the chat room love the intellect!" ...Barbara Duncan, Para-X Radio
"You are a great and generous host" ...Patti Negri, The Hollywood Psychic
"You have a pleasant way of conducting an interview" ...Terje Simonsen
"I host a daily morning show in Las Vegas and I like your shows very much. I love the way you pace your voice and thoughts is fantastic and you have a way of making your guest interviews sound more like conversations. Just wanted to let you know" ...Clay Baker
"The ever wonderful Charles Christian and his Weird Tales Radio Show"...Into The Portal Podcast
"The Master of Mysteries & Folklore" ...Fantasy Radio UK
"The witty and knowledgeable Charles Christian."
"We poled our fans on their favorite podcasts and that's how I heard of Weird Tales Radio. You are well loved by the geekiverse, and fans of folklore history and monsters!"
"Charles Christian is really out there cool."
"Check out Urban Fantasist for more fun and strangeness."
"Charles Christian defiantly makes my world a brighter, funnier place."
"Wonderful show tonight full of all the usual delights we've come to expect."
"The legendary Charles Christian at his eclectic best... his insight and humour alone make this a must-read blog."
"Charles Christian is my inner spirit animal, thank you for making me laugh."
"You always make me laugh! Thank you for brightening my day with your dark humour."
"the funny, wonderful and slightly cantankerous Charles Christian"
"Carlsberg don't make clients, but if they did... they'd be Charles Christian"
"His tech journalism is always witty. He has a talent for pricking the overblown claims of suppliers."
"Charles Christian does awesome!"
Charles Christian's Books
AND ON AMAZON IN PRINT & KINDLE
Copyright © Charles Christian
& Urbanfantasist Limited 2021
Powered by green tea and pink wine
Tel: +44 (0)1986 788666
Tel/Txt: +44 (0)7786 738172
Contact Address: Oak Lodge, Darrow Green Road, Denton, Harleston, Norfolk IP20 0AY, United Kingdom