The film was created by Paul Michael Johnson who asks "What if there was an Empire focussed short Star Wars animation, drawn with the crazy detail and shading of classic 80s anime that's all but vanished from Japan nowadays?" We also like the 80s style soundtrack.
SCI-FI-LONDON and URBAN FANTASIST are once again setting you an exciting challenge during the SCI-FI-LONDON Film Festival 2015: a 48 hour flash fiction competition on a sci-fi or fantasy theme.
Each year we run a 48 hour film challenge, where we give the teams a TITLE, line of DIALOGUE and a few other things to base their film on. We want you to write a short story with similar details, again in just two days!
How it will work:
Entry is FREE and open to anyone who writes or would like to dip a toe in the literary water. The story must not exceed 1500 words max and be written in the time allocated.
Between now and 10th April, you need to...
1. Go to the Challenge website
2. Click on the Create Account link (there are 2 of them) to Register for the Challenge (we need some basic contact details) - or use this link http://48hour.sci-fi-london.com/account/register
3. Visit the Challenge site on Saturday 11th April at 9.00am - login to your account to get your story elements: the TITLE for your story + a piece of DIALOGUE which must be incorporated somewhere into the story (this may include a scientific idea or theme). Easy... half your work is done! You then have 48 hours to write your story.
4. Write no more than 1500 words - double spaced in one font please - see full format details below
5. Include your name and contact details in the story - so we know it's yours!
6. Get it back to us by for judging. The deadline for submission is Monday 13th April at 1:00pm via a PDF sent as an email attachment to email@example.com
Our jury (Charles Christian of Urban Fantasist + Rob Grant and Zoe Margolis – we'll be introducing them shortly) read all the entries and produce a shortlist and we will present the winners their awards at a ceremony in June as part of the main festival (runs 28 May to 6 June). You will be invited along to the ceremony if shortlisted and on the night find out if you won. If you are not in the UK, maybe we can skype with you?
Prizes include a SCI-FI-LONDON Goody bag, tickets to the festival and a few other goodies.
What else to you need to know:
• Anyone can enter the Challenge and entry is FREE but please note this is London-based film festival
• This is NOT a Grievous Angel project so we will not be paying a contributors fee however we will be publishing the winning entry and runners-up on this site
• Use #sfl48flash and follow us @scifilondon on Twitter for updates.
• Standard manuscript format: in a serif font (Courier/Times New Roman/Garamond etc) + 12 point size + double spaced lines + single column layout + no illustrations.
• Include your name and full contact details on the first page AND list the clues you were given on entry: Title + Line of Dialogue
• Manuscripts to be submitted digitally in PDF or MS Word or Apple Pages file formats only as email attachments.
• Please also include your word count - note the maximum is 1500 words.
The UK's Society of Authors is running a campaign supporting better deals for authors who attend literary festivals and expect to be paid and receive expenses. See attached PDF for details...
Only in Norfolk (which is where I live). Here's a picture of an eyewitness to a raid on a house by armed police. Nowhere in the accompanying report (click link HERE) does anyone comment on the fact the man is wearing one Zebra-style onesie!
The video features ARO (pronounced 'arrow') as in Aimee Rachel Osbourne, the eldest daughter of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne.
Wonderful chart here by Matt Orsman – follow the link to his website for more of his artwork and the opportunity to buy his graphics – including this table – in various forms of merchandise, including laptop covers. Periodic Table of Horror Movies.
For Fun & Strangeness
Urban Fantasist is here to inform and entertain you with tales of pop culture, geek, folklore, urban myths, and the weird. "Fun and strangeness" is how one reader describes it.
Hosted by Reuters correspondent and barrister turned writer, podcaster, radio DJ, award-winning tech journalist and werewolf hunter Charles Christian. The site also has links to Charles Christian's books including fiction, nonfiction and latest reviews, as well as his Weird Tales and Smart Radio shows.
The Latest Podcast
In Episode 73 of the Weird Tales Radio Show we interview leading paranormal news blogger & haunted house investigator Steve Higgins about his HiggyPop website & paranormal research courses + Janie looks at the case of a fake haunting & asks: is the best way to deal with a ghost to beat it with a walking stick? And we have more Practical Magick including a recipe for a hagstone & iron good luck charm and a simple reversing spell.
Click the player button below to hear the latest show. Follow this page link Weird Tales Radio Show to access the podcast episodes archive, which also contains links to all our podcast platforms – you can find us wherever you listen to podcasts.
Listen to Charles Christian on Smart Radio GY music radio:
The UK Chart Toppers Show
Mondays 2:00pm to 5:00pm (UK)
The Midweek Late Lunch
Wednesdays 2:00pm to 5:00pm (UK)
and on mobile...
SONOS + Alexa + TuneIn Radio at
Smart Radio GY
Weird Tales Radio Show
1:00pm PST - 4:00pm EST - 9:00pm UK
and on TuneIn Radio
Weird Tales Podcast Links
The Urban Fantasist website is now averaging over 5000 page views daily and 150,000 page views a month plus over 6000 unique visitors each week.
Tel: 44(0)1986 788666
"Listening to your wonderful show now. I love the stories! Wonderful concept. Great work."
"We polled our fans on their favorite podcasts and that's how I heard of Weird Tales Radio. You are well loved by the geekiverse, and fans of folklore history and monsters!"
"Charles Christian is really out there cool."
"Check out Urban Fantasist for more fun and strangeness."
"Charles Christian defiantly makes my world a brighter, funnier place."
"Wonderful show tonight full of all the usual delights we've come to expect."
"The legendary Charles Christian at his eclectic best... his insight and humour alone make this a must-read blog."
"Charles Christian is my inner spirit animal, thank you for making me laugh."
"You always make me laugh! Thank you for brightening my day with your dark humour."
"the funny, wonderful and slightly cantankerous Charles Christian"
"Carlsberg don't make clients, but if they did... they'd be Charles Christian"
"His tech journalism is always witty. He has a talent for pricking the overblown claims of suppliers."
"Charles Christian does awesome!"
Charles Christian's Books
Can I copy content from this site?
Yes... providing you properly credit it. Urban Fantasist content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License which means it may be shared, copied, remixed or used commercially as long as Urban Fantasist or the Weird Tales Radio Show are cited as the source.
Copyright © Charles Christian
& WordsandVision Limited 2019
Tel: (+44) 01986 788666
Tel/Txt: (+44) 07786 738172
WhatsApp: (+44) 07786 738172
Contact Address: Oak Lodge, Darrow Green Road, Denton, Harleston, Norfolk IP20 0AY, United Kingdom
Urban Fantasist is fuelled by green tea, dark chocolate and sarcasm